Localization of the Clue mobile app and updates in nine languages
Clue is an app for tracking menstrual cycles that is available on iPhone and Android.
Clue stands out among the hundreds of other dedicated mobile apps not only thanks to its design (which foregoes the typical pink theme), but also its functionality:
- Useful personal diary: beyond allowing you to record the start of your cycle, the app allows you to note additional information about how you feel, including your mood, so that you can find out more about your body;
- High prediction accuracy: the program uses data about each cycle to continuously improve the accuracy of its predictions about when the next cycle will begin, PMS, and the days on which you are most likely to become pregnant. Prediction can be even further refined using the additional data that is entered from the personal diary;
- Convenient notifications: so that the beginning of your cycle will not take you by surprise, you will be able to take contraceptives on time, or, if you are trying to get pregnant, so that you do not miss the most favorable days for conceiving;
- An abundance of simple and relevant background information; if you wonder why all the app's functionality is useful, Clue would be be happy to explain everything: its explanations are more understandable than scientific articles and more concise than Wikipedia.
In general, the product turned out to be so good and became so popular that it would have been unfair to restrict users to only the English-language version.
Clue had worked with Crowdin in the past. It had come to fully appreciate the convenience of the multipurpose cloud platform. That is where they met Alconost, which offered a specialized localization solution.
The project was complicated: it involved a narrow range of subject-specific terminology, scientific fact checking, and the need to maintain the app's simplicity and ease of presentation, including when the app is updated. Alconost accepted the challenge, inviting only those translators to work on project with knowledge of the subject area and experience in app localization for each language.
Alconost first localized the app into French. Clue checked the quality of Alconost's translations with a third party. After they received confirmation that the work was high quality, they launched a full-scale localization project using the Alconost + Crowdin platform.
Alconost's task was to quickly localize the app as well as to translate any subsequent updates into the following 9 languages:
- Brazilian Portuguese
- + 3 additional languages that are yet to be announced.
In addition to a team of competent translators, a team of qualified editors has also been working on the project. They have been ensuring that the localization of the app into each of the languages is performed to quality standards.
It is thanks to the capabilities of the Crowdin platform that it has been possible to perform the translations simultaneously and rapidly:
- The rapid notifications, which inform translators when there are new strings to translate, save a lot of time, making it easy to allocate work between project managers, translators, and editors;
- A glossary of terms that can be conveniently integrated into the translator workspace. It helps to avoid wasting efforts on harmonizing terminology and maintaining the consistency of translations;
- App screenshots, which Clue provided with each assignment of new lines. These helped the translators to quickly grasp the context without having to waste time installing the app on their devices, searching the Internet for screenshots, or asking the project manager questions.
We, the team here at Alconost, are delighted to be participating on this project, which does a lot to help women in their everyday lives and certainly makes the world a better place. We wish the product the best of success!
Liza, chief marketing specialist at Clue:
The ability to order services from Alconost on the Crowdin platform allows us to localize strings as major updates for our application are released, because I'm confident of the quality and reliability of the translations. I appreciate how contactable your team is, both in terms of the entire process and the specific solutions for localization.
Other success stories
- Multilingual Advertising for the Alvadi Online Auto Parts Store
- Voiceovers for the Avatarico and Lostroom escape rooms
- Localization of the websites of Aviasales, Jetradar, and Hotellook
- Alconost+Crowdin for Bandsintown: Localization of the most popular app for finding concerts
- Translation and voiceovers for the fox cub Cucchi in the Booclick app
- Alconost + Crowdin: localization of Clash of Kings into English
- Configuring Google Analytics for a regional branch office of the Dr. Bormental clinic
- Localization into two languages and ongoing language support for DreamCommerce
- Localization of Dr.Explain into eight European languages and updating the help system
- Localization of System Surveillance Pro into Spanish
- Series of 18 Video Banners for the Guild of Heroes Advertising Campaign
- Copywriting and translation of the app description, articles, and press release for the Helper app
- Localization of the "Home Bookkeeping" app into Spanish, French, and German
- Localization of the Jooble job search service into 16 languages
- 62 tutorial videos in English and Russian for Kaspersky Lab
- How we created seven trailers for Kaspersky Lab in two months
- Creating template videos and translations in Nitro for the "Home Bookkeeping" app
- Voiceovers in 14 languages for the Kerish Doctor software
- PPC advertising for KooRaRoo Media
- Character voiceovers in Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese for the RPG Life is Feudal: Your Own
- Localizing updates for the Charm Farm game into eight languages
- Promoting the MobiDB Database Designer app using PPC advertising
- Multilingual voice responses for Bitrix24
- Localization of the Petcube website into six languages
- Localizing the game "Punch Club" into Chinese and Polish
- Translation into six languages and localization support for Smarty CRM
- Localization of a series of mobile products into European and Asian languages for Stoik Technology
- A series of trailers about JIRA plugins
- Contextual advertising for the "TradeVoyage" travel agency
- Rewriting and voiceover of the "Fairy Tales of Uncle Remus" mobile app
- Localization of Viber messenger into Russian
- Localization of the game "Klondike" for Vizor Interactive into five languages
- Localization of the Xsolla service into 18 languages